My skin has been seriously shitty lately. I’m getting a lot more whiteheads than normal, and for some reason I have a couple of seriously large bumps on my forehead. I’ve refocused on reading up about skincare, partly also because my staples are running low and will be gone in a couple of months. But first, a roundup of my skincare routine.
Honestly, I think my skincare routine is very no frills, and it’s about to get even more no frills.
- First up, I have a The Face Shop Su Hyang Snow toner. It’s ancient, and I don’t actually know if it does much, but it doesn’t harm my skin and it seems to shrink my pores a bit, so I use it daily under my sunscreen. When it’s gone, I’m not going to use a toner as I don’t really find it necessary.
- In the day, I obviously use my HG sunscreen. This is my 3rd tube, and you can see it’s half gone. My day time routine ends here, because I don’t wake up early enough to layer loads of skincare, and I find that if I put anything else under the sunblock, my makeup tends to go haywire much faster.
- If it’s not daytime, I use the Paula’s Choice Weekly 10% AHA. My bottle is old, so I’m glad there’s only a tiny bit left, maybe a month more. It’s alright, but I think the efficacy has decreased. I’ll definitely be replacing this. [Edit, since I’ve taken this photo and written half of the post, it has vanished. D:)
- COSRX BHA Blackhead power liquid is fabulous. It’s effective and gentle. I will definitely repurchase it when I run out. It helps my blemishes clear up much faster.
- COSRX Galactomyces 95 Whitening Power Essence is nice, moisturizing and soothing. I find my skin really lacking if I don’t use it for a couple of days, even though it doesn’t visibly do that much. I have a backup serum which is only 30ml, so within a few months I’ll be back onto this after it’s gone, or maybe I can use them concurrently? Would maybe repurchase, but I’ll likely try other ‘whitening’ serums first.
- Paula’s Choice Resist Super Antioxidant Concentrate serum: I’m left with the teeniest bit and I’m trying my darnedest to use this up. I honestly don’t find this very special – it’s a solid meh, but it is very emollient and feels nice going on. I usually just use it around my eyes. I’ve been wondering if the bump on my forehead is due to me applying this around my forehead recently rather than keeping it to my eye area. Would not repurchase and I find it kinda useless, although it has a nice texture.
- Paula’s Choice Resist Barrier Repair Moisturizer with Retinol: This is a super lightweight gel moisturizer. It contains a lot of silicones, and can act as a makeup primer. Don’t put too much siliconey stuff on top of it because it WILL pill. Otherwise, it’s a good moisturizer, makes my skin hydrated and soft, but not very exciting, and not really worth the price.
- Lastly, my Benzac AC 5%. This is basically benzoyl peroxide at 5% concentration. It zaps zits quite well and doesn’t sting, no complaints. My go-to treatment for pimples and other blemishes. This is a sample tube which has lasted me for like, a year? Because I only use it sparingly when needed.
Other than assorted samples and the occasional sheet mask, this has how my routine has been like for the longest time because I take so long to finish products.
As you can see, my routine used to be Paula’s Choice heavy. I still think they’re a good brand overall for a basic skincare routine, if you have absolutely no idea where to start. They have less bullshit than most brands, and have easy to navigate lines of product. It’s easier to pick a few products from PC than from Asian beauty brands with their bafflingly named products for sure. However, I think I have graduated from them, and I am able to find better products for cheaper.
My future routine line up would ideally be:
- CosRX AHA Whitehead Power Liquid, for exfoliating
- CosRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid, to control blemishes
- HolySnails Shark Sauce, Niacinamide for brightening
- HolySnails El Dorado Vitamin C Serum, for Vit C brightening
- CosRX Ultimate Moisturizing Honey Overnight Mask and Ultimate Nourishing Rice Overnight Spa Mask
- Of course, Benzac and my Sunscreen (not in the picture.)
Compact routine with lots of actives and good stuff!